Sunday, June 06, 2010

HOME

We made it home!!! We were so fortunate to have a bassinet on the plane from Ethiopia to the states... that made the long leg of the journey much more enjoyable. With the bassinet, came more leg room for us all! Evelyn slept for nearly seven hours and Lindy did great with her own bed! Dan and I struggled to get much sleep but having the girls sleep was terrific.
How wonderful it was to be welcomed by family... We were able to meet family at the Dulles airport, which was so fun! Evelyn was so happy to be able to see her Uncle Davey, Aunt Debbie and Madison and Emma! We were able to sit with them for about an hour and a half or so and just relax... We had made it through customs and immigration, Lindy's visa was processed without any complication! It was good to have her in the US! The plane ride from Dulles to Columbus was a breeze!! I barely had time to finish the drink they gave me before they were taking it back for landing!

When we got home, we were so surprised to see how much work had been done at home!! Our amazing group of friends worked on our yard, by pulling weeds, planting annuals, spreading mulch, edging flower beds... it was unbelievable!!! I can remember when we left, I had said to Dan that there were so many weeds and he was saying that this will have to be the year that yard work just won't be able to be a priority! What an amazing gift from our friends! My anxiety is gone when I look out the window and see the beautiful flower beds and no weeds!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was such a great gift!!! Seriously, so wonderful!
And then, walking in to our house that was cleaned by my mom and my sister's mother-in-law, Joan!! I don't think it has ever been so clean! Vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the upholstery, cleaning the ceiling fan blades, all the windows and window sills... cleaning out the fridge, new sheets on the beds! It was so great!!

Unfortunately about 30 minutes after arriving home, Evelyn complained that her stomach was upset... she proceeded to throw up and was feeling pretty sick... By about 4:30 pm (which was 11:30pm Africa time) we were exhausted, Evelyn was in her bed asleep by 5:00, thanks to Bebe, I gave Lindy a botttle and she was asleep by 6:00, I took a shower and was asleep by 6:30 and Dan was showered and asleep by 7:30.... I must have passed out, because I didn't hear Evelyn wake up and start throwing up again... Dan was on top of that! We changed her bed sheets and helped take care of her while she continued to throw up.. Dan slept in her room with her and I went back to sleep in my bed with Lindy. Dan was there until about 2:30-3:00 am and she seemed to have stopped with the vomiting and had fallen into a good sleep... Not 10 minutes after Dan layed down in our bed, he got up and started vomiting!! He ended up in the bathroom most of the night!!! Poor guy, he sounded miserable! Evelyn woke up at about 5:00am and said she was feeling a little bit better and was wanting to watch a movie... I went out in the living room with her and Dan was continuing in and out of the bathroom... moaning and groaning! All the while, Lindy had slept very soundly, only waking up once for a bottle! She didn't end up waking up until about 6:00am (1:00pm Africa time)!! The day has gotten better from then on... Dan started to get some color back and feeling good... by noon, he was having a small plate of food for lunch! Lindy took a morning nap from 9-10:30 and is asleep now for an afternoon nap. Evelyn is playing with Chase and Campbell across the street... what she has been dying to do for the last two weeks! I am going to lay down and get a little sleep myself...

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers! We are glad to be home and can't wait to see friends and family and let everyone meet Lindy!




6 comments:

MKW said...

I was looking forward with much anticipation to read about your feelings upon returning home. I knew of the plan for your yard and was excited for you to see all that had been done!
Aubrey, I hope you don't get the "bug" from Evie and Dan!
Take care. Praising the Lord for bringing you safely home.
Muriel

Kenzi said...

Welcome home! So glad you all arrived safety and with no problems...other than the sickness!

Jennifer c said...

Yuck! I was wondering how the rest of the night went...... Hopefully everyone is feeling much better and it sounds like even starting to adjust to Ohio time. So, so, so glad you are home and are feeling relaxed. :-)
Jen

Hanna said...

Glad you made it safe and sound with your IR3!!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! So glad to hear you are home. It sounds like friends and family really came along side you all with the cleaning and garden work! Praise God!! We will be praying for a beautiful transition for everyone. Adrienne Stengel

Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful story to follow and me and some of my friends prayed for you all while you were gone! Continued prayers for your new family!