Sunday, May 23, 2010

Our baby girl

Wow, what can I say?! It was an unbelievable experience! Watching the nun bring Lindy outside to meet us was unreal! Even just sitting in the bus driving down the extremely bumpy and extremely STEEP dirt road... when I saw the blue gate and the sign above it.... I just broke out into tears! THIS is what we have been waiting for...THIS is what all that hard work of paperwork and waiting was all for! I have to say, Praise Be to God! What an awesome journey.... All 5,000+ miles!

One of the nuns asked us how we ended up at this orphanage... We described a little of our journey to this point... And realized that she is from Indiana...and knew of where my Dad grew up... I'm thinking, "are you kidding me? We came all the way to Rwanda to get our baby and a nun is here from Indiana?!...". She mentioned that she had been at Home of Hope for about two years, was in Rome for five years prior to that and then Ethiopia before that! She only is able to visit home once every ten years! One of the men in our group described it as the nuns being married to the church... That is so true... They have such a commitment to the Lord and to the work of the church, it's amazing! The nun that brought out Lindy to us was such an example of humility... She wasn't looking at the camera when we got our picture with her, and someone said that she needed to look at the camera instead of looking at Lindy... She responded by saying that the baby is more important than herself... What amazing women these sisters are!

Another touching moment was when we had to bring Lindy back to the orphanage for the night.... Evelyn wanted to walk up with me.... She had said several times during the day that she was going to miss Lindy tonight... Anyway, she asked me to hold Lindy down low so that she could give her a hug and a kiss.... And as she was kissing her she just started to cry! She cried pretty intensely and just kept kissing her on the cheek... She didn't want to have to give her back. In that moment I was so glad that Evelyn came with us on this journey! For her to be a part of bringing Lindy home. This is her sister! What a wonderful feeling it is to see the compassion in Evelyn at her age.... She is a tender hearted girl, and I love it!

Tomorrow morning (Monday) we are to get to the ministry office and get the letter that allows us to get her passport and then we can have her full time after that!

This has been so wonderful, I can't even explain! It felt so good to have me, Dan, Evelyn and Lindy all together!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you guys. I love that you have blogged about this experience. Lindy is very blessed to have parents like you and a big sister like Evelyn. Congrats! I can't wait to see more pictures.

Heidi said...

Wonderful to hear about your meeting Lindy! Can't wait to see some pictures.

Amy Bogear Noland said...

You all are in our thoughts and prayers with each experience you take in. We wait anxiously for every post. Today's sermon was from Romans 8 and Sam spoke of your adoption, he had even looked at the post before the mornings sermon. Mom and I sat holding the picture of you kissing Lindy and praised God for his goodness. The kids miss Evelyn terribly. We would cherish a picture of her. I pray for Monday to come quickly so that you can be together and stay together as a family. Enjoy each moment.

Love and miss you, hugs and kisses to all!
Amy

Unknown said...

Your Dad and I are reading this with tears streaming down our cheeks... what joy! We are so glad that Evie is there to experience this whole process... she is there for all the reasons you mentioned in your blog... oh, how much we love her.

This morning Pastor Sam used a passage in Romans that spoke about adoption... then he ended his sermon by saying that you, Dan and Evelyn are in Rwanda right now... he asked me to say her name for everyone and then told it's meaning. He told the congregation that they are to welcome this little girl in the very same spirit they have been adopted into the arms of God. Amy and I couldn't stop crying. After church we had so many see the picture you sent and ask all about Lindy. She will be welcomed with open arms! Her new family, her new church, this precious gift of God.

Lovingly,
Mom and Dad

P.S. If it's not to much to ask... we'd love to see a picture of Evie and Lindy...

Tasha said...

Your daughter is absolutely beautiful!!! We are so happy for you.

Tasha and Will

MKW said...

Sam and I read your posts with much emotion. Thank you, thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Muriel

Jenny said...

I have been reading your blog with tears of joy for you guys.. She's beautiful, I'm so happy for you.. Jenny